Here and There

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I'm not very quiet, OR submissive.

I've been thinking about a little dichotomy I have. Actually prompted by Gid's discussion about gender roles with some guys. As he was preparing, he asked me if I knew those verses about the man being the spiritual head of the household. I didn't, off the top of my head, so I started looking and naturally became repulsed and disgusted about the verses I read in the Bible about my fair sex:

"A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one decieved; it was the woman who was decieved and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing--if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety."


It's downright depressing to read this in Holy Scripture. What to make of it?

I do not think a woman should learn any more quietly or any more submissively than any man. (I will assume that in this time in history, women had not been present in learning atmospheres, religious or otherwise and that this is a small step in welcoming them into learning.)

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent"
Strictly Paul's opinion.

"Adam was not the one decieved; it was the woman..." True, he wasn't decieved. He chose to disobey. Hmm.

"But women will be saved through childbearing..." I don't read this as a statement that glorifies maternity or mandates childbearing. Praise God through childbirth we are all saved! Mary gave birth to Jesus who saves women and men from their sin.

So this brings me to my own personal reflections on being a woman, a Christian, a feminist. How does that add up? Am I doing a disservice to my "sisters against suffocating traditional female roles" by baking pies and collecting teacups? Are the domestic arts a valid hobby or have they been put upon me by my own mother, and this society? Do I feel put upon?

I like to bake and I am furious that women earn a fraction of what men do. And I will keep thinking on this one.

No comments: