Here and There

Sunday, April 02, 2006

A Little Gilead

Just finished Gilead, in bed yesterday afternoon in the midst of one of the busiest days in recent memory. I laid down. I read. I fell asleep as soon as I finished the book. Which was fitting as the last sentence was "I'll pray, and then I'll sleep."
I would like to write about this book and why I liked it. But for now, I'll just copy out a part of it, sometimes that's a good idea.

From Gilead by Marilynne Robinson:

There are two occasions when the sacred beauty of Creation becomes dazzlingly apparent, and they occur together. One is when we feel our mortal insufficiency to the world, and the other is when we feel the world's mortal insufficiency to us. Augustine says the Lord loves each of us as an only child, and that has to be true. "He will wipe the tears from all faces." It takes nothing from the loveliness of the verse to say that is exactly what will be required.

No comments: