Here and There

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

"Oh, it's just the zoo."

On Sunday, my mother-in-law and I were driving through Land Park in Sacramento. First it's a lovely tree-lined street with beautiful well-cared for houses and then the street winds through the park itself, kind of like Golden Gate park. She had told me that her family had moved to this street, to a house on a corner when she was in high school. She pointed out the house and then we entered the park. There was a fairyland and a zoo and all sorts of trees and fields. She said at night they could hear the lions roar. I was totally struck by that. I imagined a younger child living in that neighborhood, going out to play after dinner. Those huge trees lining the street throwing long shadows in that warm light. Then dusk, dark, bedtime. Then laying there in bed, with the windows open I'm sure, it is so hot there!, and then you drift off to sleep and you hear it: a roar. I wonder if it startles you everytime, or if you are so near sleep you imagine that lion is pacing your very own lawn out front. Or if it's just like any other night noise. Funny how with zoos, a suburban family's night noises can match the Savannah's night noises. On safari, that kid would sleep through the night thinking, "Oh, it's just the zoo."

2 comments:

Bora said...

I always thought it would be so nice to live by a park like that. The zoo and those roaring lions would just make it that much better.

Doug said...

It's all fun and games until a lion escapes though