Here and There

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Reepicheep and Psalm 139

This the little painting that started as a reflection on Psalm 139, which has been so comforting to me in the past few months, and then turned into a reflection on The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

As for Psalm 139, I like feeling known. Everybody likes feeling known. But I also think it takes a lot of trust to desire someone to know you deeply. v.23 says "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts." It could feel like someone rifling through your pockets or purse, or it could feel like the relief of telling someone a deep secret, depending on the trust level I guess. I like to think about how Aslan knew Reepicheep so well. He knew he wanted so badly to come into his country, and he brought him there. It is hard to see from this angle the children walking and Reepicheep leading the way, wading in the shallow water, but I liked to imagine them holding hands, going slowly, feeling full of awe at the wall of water, the mountains of green beyond.

2 comments:

Bora said...

Remember how it got brighter and brighter, but as they drank the water their eyes got stronger and more able to bear the light?

jillyg said...

i do. i must say though, the good smell that they noticed before they arrived is what i think of a lot. i imagine our own heaven will have a good smell.