Here and There

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Strawberry Scones


I have a basic scone recipe that I use pretty frequently. Well, a lot. I like to add different fruits and such to it, like:
*dried apricots, dried cranberries AND chocolate chips (everything but the kitchen sink scones)
*dried cranberries and orange zest (a sissy flavor fave combo)
*currants (for the scone prosaic, like Peter)
and most recently *chopped strawberries

The best thing about the strawberry variety of this scone, which Gid and I gobbled for breakfast today, is that in the recipe, you stir in cream and whatever mix-in at the same time. I will tell you when the cream and the berries hit the bowl, the smell is...so good it made me laugh out loud today. That smell is almost better than how they taste, or maybe remembering the smell makes them taste better than they are...

To try: (this quantity makes 8 scones, I halve the recipe for the two of us so I don't eat scones all day...which I would if I had a bunch hanging around.)

2 c. flour
3 TB sugar
1 TB baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
5 TB unsalted butter, cut up
1 cup cream
1/2 to 1 cup mix in of your choice. (I use more or less depending on the mood)

Whir in food processor first 4 ingredients. Pulse butter in 8-10 pulses. Dump it in a bowl and pour in cream and mix-in. Stir with a stiff spatula or wooden spoon until it is more or less together. Dump it on a lightly floured counter and form a disc. Cut it into wedges and put them on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle sugar all over the tops, bake at 450 until golden. It is always better to let them cool a little first, but I usually eat one immediately and then enjoy a cooled one.

1 comment:

Bora said...

Yum!