Here and There

Monday, June 04, 2007

Care for a pint?

Pint of ice cream. I know everybody must do this, but nobody really talks about it. I remember my grandma used to get pints of Haagen Dazs and keep them in the deep freeze in the garage. I would get one out and enjoy the whole thing while watching The Mary Tyler Moore Show, or The Disney Channel. It is surprisingly easy to eat a pint of ice cream.

The funny thing is, I haven't remembered the flavor she would always buy until now. I knew it was tan, and had chocolate covered bits of something in it but I never really knew what flavor it was. I'm sure I looked at the label at some point, but it just didn't stick. This is a flavor I ate years ago.

Then, while enjoying the devil-may-care attitude I've adopted toward food during this pregnancy, (My philosophy: If not now, when?) I decided I'd treat myself to a pint. From a girl familiar with the POINTS system, eating pints of ice cream has not been a habit in the past few years. I thought Caramel Cone looked like a good start. First bite it hit me, THE FLAVOR. The long lost ice cream flavor of my carefree pint-o-ice cream eating days. So, although I do buy the "Extra Rich Light" variety (which sounds absolutely impossible, I know) it still tastes as indulgent and luxurious as those afternoons after school curled up on Grandma's olive green couch.

No comments: