Here and There

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Garbage

Yesterday, I called a day spa to make pedicure appointments for my sister and my mom and I. It is a fun and relaxing annual tradition. When I called, the receptionist asked me if I had been there before. I said yes. She asked me for the first three letters of my last name. I said G-I-D. She was quiet for a minute, presumably looking my name up in the computer. Then she asked, "Did you say G as in garbage?"

"I guess it's G as in garbage, I never really think of it that way." It struck me funny and I started laughing, then Gid started laughing and then I had a really hard time getting through the process of making the reservation. She was flustered and didn't even ask me for a credit card to hold the slot, and then called back a few minutes later to clarify the date. People probably don't usually get the giggles on the phone with "Re:fresh, A Day Spa". But i'm still laughing about it. Why would someone say "G as in garbage"!?

6 comments:

Erin said...

Super funny. It would be funny to make up a whole alternate alphabet, you know like "O as in Offal, W as in Waste, D as in Detritus..." and then just use it like the crazy coot at the spa did. ;)

Doug said...

"Hi this is Doug, I'd like to make an appointment."
"Oh, D as in date rape?"
"Yes that's right."

Bora said...

"Would that be B as in..." !?!

jillyg said...

barf?

Bora said...

yes, uh...'barf'...not what I was thinking but it's a good, G rated possibility.

cristyroses said...

yes, I'm at Janine.