Here and There

Monday, October 08, 2007

Harvest

I know these look like silky pieces of raw tuna, but if you know me, you know I don't care for raw tuna and I can't afford a cutting board full of sushi grade tuna anyway. These are beets, roasted and cut up, ready for lemon zest and goat cheese. The best part about these beets is that they are from our garden! Really. No scam. I pulled up 5 big beets from the dirt that day. It's a great feeling to pull something from the ground you can eat. I loved it. I loved washing them in the sink and eating them for supper. Most of the garden experience this year was haphazard. I would forget we had food out there. Peter remembered and would try to coax me to eat the many collard greens or zucchini we had, but I just never really felt like eating those things. I guess when you grow your own food you can't be too picky. If the collard greens are about to bolt, you don't say "I'd rather have a burrito." Which is what I often say. So a lot of our edible garden ended up composted. But after pulling up those beets, my interest in the place was renewed. Too bad it's almost over, but we still have a lot going on out there. I made zucchini bread yesterday and it is good! Maybe, when the harvest is done and we have blank boxes again and we're ready to plant winter crops I'll make some sort of vow with the land to eat more of what it produces. Very Steinbeckian of me. If anything, the nice thing about a garden is that there's always a new season.

1 comment:

pdana said...

Remember, before you compost those greens, you can give them your bottom feeder neighbors.