Here and There

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Cry it out. Who's supposed to cry now?


Lily has always had a hard time going to bed...she's a night owl. She'd close the bar if we let her. We fought it and tried all manners of soothing: wear her down, nurse her down, rock her down, sing her down...you get the picture. Then last week she was winning and we were losing. Our cut off hour of midnight found us all back in dreaded family bed and the easy access to the chuck wagon kept her going all night. This kid will force herself to stay awake to eat. I was either fending her off or feeding her. Although my heart said no, my back the next morning said yes. So last night we let her cry herself to sleep. So sad. It made me feel ill, it made me feel desperate. But then she went to sleep and slept until morning. Very good.
But now it's night again and she's howling, no wait, she stopped, no, she's howling again. I hate this more than I hate ants.

5 comments:

Bora said...

Lily is learning something new and it's hard for all. But this adjustment, which feels terrible to you, is probably just a small tweak in Lily's overall emotional landscape. Not that it makes it any easier to listen to your baby cry, of course. But it's good to remember that she is a happy, healthy, strong, thriving baby. Hang in there.

I've been praying and will keep on.

jillyg said...

happy, healthy, strong, thriving baby. happy, healthy, strong, thriving baby...

Susi said...

I don't know if you think of Abigail and Gabriel and well-adjusted kids...but each of them had their couple or three nights of crying themselves to sleep...and learning that horizontal was good, sleep comes...it's okay to let go and ZZZzzzz.

But I remember that awful feeling...and even physiologically, my body would react...the milk letting down and soaking those little pads you wear when you're nursing.

My prayers join Bora's and yours for you, Pete and the baby.

jillyg said...

If anyone is reading this post now, in 2016, after having 2 more babies, I have regrets in letting Lily "cry it out"! I wish I had known that it is okay for babies to be all over the place with their sleep. I wish I had known that sharing the bed with a baby can be a ticket to a better night's sleep, even with wake ups. I wish I had known that it's okay for a baby to stay up late and that night time parenting means waking up a lot of times, and that's okay. Alas, Lily is fine. And so are the other two.

Bora said...

still reading in 2016! xoxo