Here and There

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Saucer of Seeds


Cosmos 'Sensation' (Skinny long ones)
Yellow Cosmos (Slightly smaller skinny long ones)
Echinacea (little triangles)
Nasturtium (Those are the funny brain-like ones)
Sweet Pea 'Cupani' (perfectly round brown)
Sweet William (little tiny flecks...despite what the Bible says, Sweet William seeds are way smaller than mustard seeds and may be the smallest seeds!)

Two weeks ago I finally planted some seeds in the garden that had been waiting patiently for me to take action. I've seen a few sprouts, but not near as many as I usually do this long after planting. I'm hoping I get to enjoy lots and lots of flowers this summer from that saucer of seeds.

Volunteer sunflowers and bachelor buttons are everywhere in the garden courtesy of the breeze and our resident squirrel. Even so, I still planted a couple varieties of sunflowers ('Giant Titan', 'Italian White' and Chocolate Cherry') I couldn't get over the picture on the packet of 'Giant Titan' seeds of a woman gardening in the shadow of a 15 foot tall sunflower. I planted some of those just to see if it's real!

When I'm waiting for the garden to grow I am reminded of a Frog and Toad story about Toad planting a garden. We had the story on tape when I was a kid and I remember the voice saying the words: "Let the sun shine on them, Let the rain fall on them. Then your seeds will start to grow."

No comments: