Here and There

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Baking for book club



Today I felt lousy, had a headache, sore throat...I wanted to do nothing except bake for tonight's book club. I thought I would make something pretty simple and spend the day quietly with Lil. Then, after we ate a pear for breakfast that was perfectly ripe, I got inspired to make a pear tart. I got the Tartine cookbook for my birthday and knew there must be some sort of delicious pear tart in there, and sure enough...Frangipane Tart with pears. It required a lot of steps: Flaky tart dough, pastry cream, frangipane cream, poach pears and then bake it all up. But I had all the ingredients in the house so I went for it. Good thing Lily likes to pull everything out of the cabinets and play on the kitchen floor because that's where we spent most of the morning. I pulled an Alexis and didn't taste ANYTHING while I was baking and I am excited to taste this tonight.

This cook's notes:
Elisabeth and Chad (Tartine's authors) suggest using a tart ring without a bottom, which I did and it made it very easy to go from baking sheet-cooling rack-pretty plate.
They also say to fill it up with 3 cups of the frangipane cream which in my heart I was thinking: "Too much! Too much!" and I was right. It overflowed a lot. I had plenty of dough from the halved recipe, so I would suggest making a 6 inch and a 9 inch and split the 3 cups between the 2 tarts.

5 comments:

Bora said...

two things I am impressed by:

1) you felt sick, yet managed to undertake this complicated recipe and 2) you have something called "frangipane cream" sitting around the house.

I'd love to hear if the final product was worth the fuss. It looks beautiful.

jillyg said...

girl, you have to MAKE the frangipane cream.

Bora said...

girl, that's why you're remarkable. I looked up "frangipane cream" by the way. Who among your readers (besides Erin) already knew what that was?

Kim said...

I didn't know what most of the ingredients were.

Doug said...

When I pull an Alexis it's something completely different