Here and There

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Best Vegetable Stock

Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone has a Winter Squash soup recipe that is terrific, but when I made it a couple weeks ago I realized partly why I liked it so much was making the "Quick Vegetable Stock" for it. This recipe has you roughly chop a bunch of good smellers (aromatics) like onion, carrot, celery, parsley and garlic and throw them in with branches of thyme and all the scraps from the other ingredients of the soup. In this case, the insides of a butternut squash. I love the casual mess of it all in the pot and the idea of using food waste to make good food. I like tossing food into a pot. I like the contents looking like I foraged them. I like that something so rich tasting is simply vegetables and water.

2 comments:

Leiflet said...

This picture makes me want to cook a soup. My thing this Fall has been making soup inside a pumpkin (the natural toureen!) I purchased this beautiful one for $5 from a farm near IKEA (it's a weird shopping trip...) with the price written in sharpie on top. I am convinced that these unimportant details make the soup more delicious somehow... Why is that?

julia said...

i was so excited to see you had a simple veg stock recipe--sounds like the perfect thing for me. i'm with you on the idea of using the scraps. Why not? i've learned from Cori and Luis about other countries being so much less wasteful than us. and how great is it to get a yummy stock out of it? ;-)