Here and There

Sunday, July 26, 2009

New piece of the picture

At church I had an amazing new picture of Jesus in my mind that I never really had before. The passage (John 1:37-42) describes a couple guys going with Jesus to the place he was staying and staying with him for the day and then in the evening, bringing one of the guys' brother over. Jesus basically looks straight at the guy and changes his name, naming his destiny.

I never really thought about how this all might go down and as I let my imagination go I pictured where Jesus was staying, in a house with thick walls, open windows with a courtyard in the middle. There, in the courtyard, in the growing darkness with lamp or two lit, I pictured him sitting with not only these two guys but a few other people. Kind of like the outdoor party ideal that so fascinates me. Jesus is sitting in the warm circle of light, quiet, listening and enjoying the talking. Maybe sipping some wine. Peter comes in and sees him and gets introduced. Jesus may have been "despised and rejected by men" in general during his life, but I imagine from his encounters with the disciples and the woman at the well that there was something irresistible to people who could see it. Attraction, curiosity, wonder. I saw in my mind's eye this picture of Jesus hanging out all day and into the night and it seemed so real to me. It kind of made me want to approach him, like at a party and see what he would tell me about my own self. I can't tell you how pleasant the whole setting and situation were.

I love that this new picture will be a part of all the little movies and snapshots of Jesus I've made in my own head to create who Jesus is to me. And that everybody has his or her own.

John 1:37-42
When the two disciples heard him say this, they followed Jesus. Turning around, Jesus saw them following and asked, “What do you want?”

They said, “Rabbi” (which means Teacher), “where are you staying?”

“Come,” he replied, “and you will see.”

So they went and saw where he was staying, and spent that day with him. It was about the tenth hour.

Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of the two who heard what John had said and who had followed Jesus. The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, “We have found the Messiah” (that is, the Christ). And he brought him to Jesus.

Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter).

1 comment:

marguerite said...

thanks for sharing, jill - what a wonderful picture. i was also drawn to imagining what my new name would be.