Here and There

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Two

I'm adjusting to life with two kids. It's different than I had thought it would be. Funnier, crazier, WAY harder. Up all night off and on with the baby doesn't really mesh with the hours of a toddler. As someone who only feels fully competent with adequate sleep it's a struggle for me to wake up at 7:00am, only 15 minutes or so after actually falling asleep again after caring for Maggie. I have to pretend like it's normal and natural instead of hideously wrong. Lily breezes in: "Good morning!" and I reply, "Good Morning!"

But then Lily will say something like "What a LOAD on baby sister's bottom!" in amazement and again: "What a LOAD!" and I will laugh and forget that awful "Can it really be morning?" moment...for a moment.

3 comments:

Leiflet said...

We have friends here with two kids, and when i asked the difference, their response was a wordless opening of the mouth and widening of the eyes. Then, and exhale of breath and slight shaking of the head.

That moment lead me to think that i would rue the first few years of having multiple kids. That fear is ALMOST enough for me to not want a second.

Lisa said...

She's gorgeous! What a perfect name for such a lovely baby.

I just read a beautiful article in Mothering magazine about welcoming a second baby into the home. It really opened my eyes to all the difficulties that having a toddler and a newborn brings, though I'm sure I'll still be more than shocked with the reality of caring for two when the time comes for us to have another!

Do you already get that magazine? I'll send the article on to you (for you to read in your infinite spare time) if you'd like.

jillyg said...

i've been lent back issues from a friend, it's great. i'd love to read the article!