Here and There

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

January


I am very pleased with these rosehips. This rose, I am not so pleased with overall--it's not very fragrant, I thought I liked the bloom but it's too simple. I wanted some crazy really gorgeous rose to grow on this trellis and this here yellow plain jane isn't it. Plus it just looks all funky and diseased a lot of the time. What do I do though? Dig it out?

But right now it's looking very cool with these orange rosehips all over the mostly bare branches. Very mid-winter.In other news, I took the plunge and switched Mags over to cloth diapers. It's working and I won't say I LOVE it, but it's okay. No more diaper-in-the-landfill guilt. Although I've already tossed plenty of diapers in the landfill, but I just don't think about that. I'm turning over a new leaf!

I've been reading the Love Comes Softly series by Janette Oke. I've read these books since I was young, and re-read them a few times. It's fun, they're weird but also strangely spiritually intriguing to me. I am so not into the whole wider theme of women's place in the family/church/society of these stories. (They're historical, books about pioneer times, but in a kind of "it was good and right that way".)

But sometimes a wholesome, simple phrase touches me: "God can take yer bitterness Clark, iffen you'll let 'im." Stuff like that. I like that kind of stuff. So I've been reading about 1 a day. Reading during Lily's nap while nursing the baby. Staying up WAY too late reading. Doing that kind of reading you do when you're kind of in survival mode when you're not reading. Just wanting to check out in a way that only reading something very easy and melodramatic allows.

3 comments:

Leiflet said...

We've been cloth diapering, and mostly i love it. I don't think there has to be any guilt for not using them, y'know. Part of the reason why i like them so much is not having to buy diapers every week!

I read through Coraline in a night-- having kids makes me want to read more kids books. I re-read the Taran Wanderer series last year while Soren was tiny. It's so great to know that you can revisit such a childhood gem, you know? And it still has something.

cristyroses said...

Love Comes Softly series by Janette Oke ---- WOW. It's been too long.

I heart rose hips.

Lisa said...

there are not many things cuter than a cloth-diapered baby bum. it gets even easier when they consolidate their 5-a-day poops :)