Here and There

Sunday, February 07, 2010

Skirt

The other night, the baby went to sleep early and I was able to do a little sewing while we watched Quantom Leap. Which is a show where I never know what's going on and often ask, "What's happening, what's the point?" For example, in one episode Sam is a prize fighter, dating a topless go-go dancer, being trained for a big fight by nuns.

I used a pattern for the first time and realized it's totally not my style. The meticulous cutting, the notches, the matching...the directions. What a chore. I made a little skirt that was a mock up in a way, I wanted to see if I could make a little skirt before using fabric I love (read: expensive fabric). I made the little skirt and it is quite sloppy but I don't mind, I thought Lily would love it, but she refused to go near it the next day saying "That's not MY skirt!" Then, Peter very kindly convinced her to wear it today so that I wouldn't feel badly about her not wanting to wear my handiwork. But I'm still not sure I will use the fabric I love to make another of these skirts. It's too unpredictable if she will wear or like what I make. I'd rather make an apron or a zipper bag for myself. I LOVE what I make. I also don't think I'll be sewing from patterns regularly, it's hard.

5 comments:

Bora said...

I love that skirt.

Is L's objection about how it looks, or because she's being contrary to mama?

Leiflet said...

When i was 10, i tried to make a Quantum Leap video game.

jillyg said...

bora, contrary. for sure.

leif, that's an rpg i would not be interested in!

soundslikefox said...

only beserk hamsters could come up with such ridiculous plots as QL's.
i made a dress from a pattern this week, too. except it was using pricey amy butler as a trial run for easter. not sure about my logic.
you mean, you ususally don't use a pattern? impressive.

jillyg said...

haha, meaning i sew things that don't need a pattern, just kind of have directions. like "cut a rectangle, size of your choosing..."