Here and There

Monday, May 17, 2010

Achievement

Switching from Jif to natural peanut butter was SO hard for me.  I love(d) the texture of that Jif.  I knew it had a lot of extra stuff, I knew it was processed beyond the necessary peanut processing, I knew it had those bad oils...but even if the rest of my cupboard looked like home to healthy whole foods, the Jif jar lived there too.

It's gross to stir the natural peanut butter.  But it's better when I realized that I don't have to store it in the fridge like it says.  Anyway, I'm officially a convert to the natural stuff.  It tastes pretty good if you get the salted variety. 

I probably will keep some Jif on hand for peanut butter cookies and peanut butter frosting for that amazing peanut butter chocolate cake, but for our daily PB and J's, it's the natural stuff now.  One more step in the right direction!

9 comments:

erica said...

i hate when it's really full and the oil drips over the top of the jar when you stir it leaving nasty grease stains on the label. sick.

jillyg said...

yes! disgusting.

Leiflet said...

We love LOVE the maranatha organic peanut butter. It's a LOT more than Jif, but it tastes so great.

My second favorite is Earth Balance's. Half the price $3, but still good (more "roasted" tasting).

We get them in Kroger (our version of Safeway).

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=172832&prrfnbr=950034

Lisa said...

I was going to post about Maranatha PB too, but I see that my husband has beat me to it. It's super smooth and creamy like "regular" peanut butters, even refrigerated, but without the yucky ingredients. There are always coupons floating around, so I usually pay around $3 a jar.

Lisa said...

oh, and it's "no-stir!" no greasy labels :)

Doug said...

I grind my own peanut butter at whole foods, and the grinder is powered by my own sense of self worth.

jillyg said...

good job, brother. i'm proud of you.

i bought the maranatha brand this past week because we ran out. i will say, it is good, but i like the trader joe's brand that i had before better i think.

Jess said...

tragically the no-stir types have added oil. travesty. yes mixing is horribly gross. after years of oil goop, i found the tool. the kneading attachment of a hand mixer. amazing. no mess... depending on yr hand mixing skills. the blender attachment works second best. best wishes on crossing over.

jillyg said...

okay, i'm on my second jar of maranatha and it IS very good. they also have creamy almond butter with "a hint of sea salt" that mags now enjoys and it is way better than the berkeley bowl brand i used to get for lily when she was small.