Here and There

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Things that make you go, hmm.

I am a blog reader.  Avid.  I love the blogs.  I love my google reader.  I love seeing new ideas and glimpses into lives all around the country.  There are the very chic and spare, desert themed, artistic southern Californian mom blogs.  The very annoying, but helplessly addicting Minnesota mom blogs.  The kansas mom blog who is so artistic and inspiring.  The super fun New York mom blog.  The crafting blogs, the cooking blogs, the spiritually challenging, etc. etc.

I spend too much time looking at these blogs and I don't even update my own blog more than once a month usually.  I try to quit.  Delete feeds of blogs that are annoying or rile me from my reader--why bother?!  Delete feeds of blogs that are never really that interesting, but I still click on to read anyway.  I just discovered a blog called Mennonite Girls Can Cook.  How amazing and weird is that?  But I'm not really the kind of gal who makes "Hired Hand Macaroni Casserole".  Do I really need to read it?  Yes, I do.  And the NieNie Dialogues, yes, it's such a compelling story and she and her husband are so sweet, but it's usually kind of boring, right? 

I know soap operas are going off the air these days, it's because all the ladies at home with their littles are reading blogs instead of watching soaps.  And it's kind of the same thing, soap operas are boring 90% of the time and then there is something interesting and you were watching so you caught it and then you watch more to see what will happen next.

A lot of blogs I read rah rah about not being a "mainstream" family.  Cloth diapers, organic foods, no tv.  I've thought a lot about this idea of not being a "mainstream" family.  Is it not the most mainstream thing in the world to blog and blog and blog about your life?  How does "simple" v "mainstream" living really look, without a blog?   What about me?  Am I a mainstream family?  I love all the ideas, the inspiration, but sometimes it's tiring to see it all and not even know how to integrate the blog reading into your life in a good way, let alone the recipe or project featured. 

So as I contemplate my relationship with blogs,  (Read them at one time a day, no constant google reader checking?  Read them once a week?  Pick a few of my favorites and dump the rest?)  I offer a short list of my favorites:

joy the baker
whatever
lovely morning
nat the fat rat

1 comment:

Erin said...

just subscribed to Nat the Fat Rat. Love it. Why are internet mom blogger babies so cute?