Here and There

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Soul of the Rose

Sitting with K this morning, in the hour before her death, I searched the painting on the wall.  I have this same painting as a postcard on the inside of my bathroom mirror.  I don't know what it's called.  I looked it up just now..."The Soul of the Rose".

We sang "Crown Him With Many Crowns" and these lines held onto me:  "His reign shall know no end, and round his pierced feet, fair flowers of paradise extend their fragrance ever sweet." 

I know K loved flowers.  I imagined her smelling the most amazing smells, the fair flowers of paradise, the soul of the rose, I imagined her smelling them, even then.  As she hovered.

I remembered something I saw last week driving.  I was stopped in traffic, my window rolled down.  I saw two men walking together in a cross walk.  I saw both of them had their keys dangling from carabiners, like Peter wears.  I know the sound of keys dangling from carabiners very well.  But I didn't hear that sound as I watched their keys jangle on the rings.  I heard the most lovely chiming sounds.  I couldn't make sense of it.  I saw the keys, I heard the chimes.  And then my eyes darted up as I tried to put it all together.  There was a windchime, hung high on the corner of an office building.  I heard it singing in the wind.  As soon as I saw it, I heard the more familiar jangle of keys as the men walked on.  I marveled at that.

When the women sang to K there in her room, did she hear the angels too and wonder which was which was which? 

What we see here is such a dim reflection, what will we see face to face, or when?  W
hen it is all over here, or somewhere in the middle or sometimes by grace do we see face to face even now? 

2 comments:

Erin said...

That's really beautiful, sis. Karen has had that poster as long as I can remember, and the woman's lovely long fingers always remind me of Karen's.

Cristina Rose said...

beautiful.